Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Synagogue Politics

Acts 23:9

And there arose a great cry: and the scribes that were of the Pharisees’ part arose, and strove, saying, We find no evil in this man: but if a spirit or an angel hath spoken to him, let us not fight against God.

Isn't it so ironic? One moment, Paul's accusers were set to stone him and the next, they seemed to be his advocate! 

Such is the unfortunate nature of man. We tend to be ready to crucify those who hold opposing views to ours and quick to exonerate ones that share our beliefs.

Which is well and good, except when it oftentimes get in the way of righteous judging. 

In this case, it was really just because of synagogue politics! 

This "cancel culture" seems to be more and more prevalent in today's internet age. And the ironic thing is that it seems to be even more serious and vehement among the so-called liberal left, who are supposedly more open-minded. It is such mentality that people would often shout "don't judge me!", while ready to condemn less "progressive" views.


It is a minefield out there these days! How should the Christian navigate? The example of the apostle Paul is one we can emulate. Paul is obviously unapologetic and unwavering where it comes to the truth. But contrary to what one might think, it is also because of this that he displays great wisdom and humility in handling people and relationships. He certainly pulled no punches when speaking out against falsehood like we see in the beginning of the chapter, yet he was quick to back down upon hearing the identify of the high priest. Was he being cowardly? No! He was being humble and obedient to God's commandments! And then Paul exercised great wit and wisdom by driving a wedge between his accusers. Was he being divisive? No! He was trying to get some common ground to people to start listening to the gospel.

This is the classic masterclass on being "wise as serpents and harmless as doves"! (Mat 10:16)

It is without a doubt that we need to be "steadfast and unmovable" where God's Word is concerned. When we are attacked for our views, listen out to our accusers. Don't just lash back ala eye for eye, tooth for tooth mentality. Find common ground, seek to understand. If they remain caustic, ignore and move on (cf.Mat 10:14)! But very often, when we seek to understand, people will back off.


Ultimately, the salvation of souls is the top priority. Let us be reminded again by the venerable apostle Paul in 1Co 9:18 — 1Co 9:23

What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. 

For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment